What To Do If Your Dog Ingests Something Poisonous
Poisons and toxins are everywhere around your home, especially for your dog. You may not think some things are toxic, but they can be for your furry pal. If your dog ingests something toxic, it's important to take action immediately. Read on for instructions so you can help your dog in the event of this type of emergency.
Write Down What Your Dog Ate
If you saw what your dog ate, write down everything you can about the toxic substance, including how much he ate. If you have any of the packaging left over, put it into a plastic bag and contact an emergency veterinarian office to see what you should do.
Monitor Your Dog's Symptoms
Keep an eye on your dog's symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, excessive panting or drooling, or restlessness. If you notice any of these symptoms after your dog ingests something toxic, contact the emergency veterinarian with the symptoms your dog is exhibiting. You can also take your dog to the veterinarian if your dog just isn't acting normal.
Call the Emergency Veterinarian
If you suspect your dog ate something but you just aren't sure what it was, don't worry; take your dog to the veterinarian anyway for a checkup. Give them all of the information you can about your dog's behavior. Your dog may have eaten something and didn't leave a trace behind. A veterinarian, like those represented at http://www.emergencypetclinics.com, can give your dog a thorough exam and checkup, as well as fluids to help flush his system if need be.
Preventing Poison Ingestion in Your Dog
Help prevent your dog from eating anything toxic by putting up things that could be toxic to your dog, such as antifreeze and road salt. Cleaning chemicals should all be put into a cabinet that your dog cannot get to. Other toxins, such as pesticides or fertilizers, should all be put up high in a garage. Or you should keep your pet out of the garage. Plants such as poinsettias should be kept up high and away from your dog. Be sure not to feed your dog foods that may be toxic to them, such as onions, chocolate, grapes, and raisins. If any of these fall to the floor, clean them up before your dog can get to them.
If your dog ingests something poisonous, call the emergency veterinarian for help. Write down as much information as you can about your dog's behavior and what he may have ingested.